Monday, July 11, 2011

Surgery date pushed back

The results of the follow-up echocardiogram came back normal and the upper GI test today went smoothly. I made sure to be at the hospital by 8am to be able to go with Wyatt to the upper GI test at 9am. It was not at all what I expected. The test itself took less than 10 minutes. Moving him from his crib to the portable bed and back was more time consuming and tricky with the ventilator and leads attached than the test itself. Basically, as prep for the test Wyatt had to skip one feeding so he’d have an empty stomach. In radiology, they simply laid Wyatt on an examination table under a big x-ray machine that was hovering over his stomach. They pushed some dye through his feeding tube directly into his stomach - so he did not have to taste any of it, yeah. The doctor pressed a button every now and then on the x-ray machine to take pictures as the dye was moving through Wyatt’s stomach and intestines. He waited a couple minutes to see if Wyatt had reflux and then the test was over. Thanks to the feeding tube, the nurse was able to extract most of the dye again right after the test. Wyatt did really well. He was in a good mood and didn’t seem to be bothered. In fact, it looked like he kind of enjoyed the ride through the hospital hallways looking at all the bright lights. Afterwards, he just enjoyed his long awaited feed, filled his diaper and went back to sleep. I stayed and hang out for a few more hours and simply starred at him with amazement… As far as the surgery goes, well we have yet to get an answer as to when exactly it will be. Patience is definitely not my friend when it comes to things like that. Last Thursday we were told the surgery will be this Monday or Tuesday. By Friday I was told that the upper GI will be this Monday and we then have to wait on the surgical team to decide on a date and time. This morning I was told that it’s not depended on the upper GI test and it looks like the surgery will be this Wednesday. Hit the pause button, this is where I need to tell you that I was supposed to have my 6 week post-partum check up this Wednesday and now had to cancel without knowing when to reschedule it for. Continue, and of course, as soon as I cancelled my appointment for this Wednesday and made arrangements for the kids to be watched that day, I get a phone that the surgery probably won’t be until this Thursday or Friday. I admit, I don’t have the best patience in the world but come on. I just want a date and time so I can plan for both me and my husband to be able to be there. A little preparation, apparently that’s too much to ask for. That about sums up my day…

No comments:

Post a Comment