Sunday, July 3, 2011

Can I fire a nurse? - June 25

June 25
I’m so angry right now. Wyatt pulled his breathing tube out this morning and the nurse didn’t even bother calling me. She just laughed it off and said that it happened right when she came in this morning during shift change and that she must have forgotten. She casually mentioned that he wasn’t making any effort to breathe on his own so the had to bag him and reintubate. Are you serious? How can you forget to mention that little detail to the parents immediately? This makes me so mad because I had warned every single nurse every day that Wyatt is known for pulling his breathing tube out. He had done it three times in the first week of his life at the other hospital already. But this nurse always just laughed it off like it’s no big deal, like I was just joking. And she seems to be one who’d rather chit chat with her co-workers whenever possible rather than stay with the babies she’s in charge of. Maybe working in intensive care is not a good career choice for her then. I’m so furious right now. This is no joking matter. The more often he pulls his tube out and has to be reintubated, the more likely it will cause irritation, swelling and even airway damage. Thankfully Wyatt is ok but that still doesn’t make me feel any better… On another note, I’m having some pumping issues. I have noticed that I’m getting a lot less than I used to even though I've paid closer attention to adequate water and food intake and I'm trying my hardest to keep up pumping every 2-3 hours during the day. I still can’t get up at night to pump though, I'm simply too exhausted to even hear or react to my alarm on the other side of the room. I used to get a total of about 5.5-6oz every 3 hrs during the day. Now I'm down to 3-3.5oz in that same time frame. I know it’s probably just stress but I have to be proactive. Breast milk is the only medicine I can give him and probably the most beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment