Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fun, fun

Oh boy, what a weekend it’s been. Our two year old developed hand, foot and mouth disease. It’s highly contagious through contact and presents with fever, sore throat, loss of appetite and itching/pain sensation in the hands and feet, which eventually shows with little red dots that will become blisters. Those dots turning blisters will then also migrate and spread to the mouth and randomly across the body. I have no idea how he got this strange disease since he’s basically home with me all day but it could have been as simple as a grocery trip or the movies I guess since anyone can be a carrier of the virus. It only turns into the disease in kids under five years of age. That being said, that meant we had to basically quarantine our two year old. We sent him off to stay at Grandma’s house for the expected 5-7 day course while we went disinfecting crazy around the whole house for five hours to try to prevent Wyatt from getting infected. Not my idea of weekend fun but hey, that’s our luck lately. It seems like we manage to keep it contained though as Wyatt has not shown any symptoms yet and we’re now five days into it. Keeping our fingers crossed and keeping the two year old under quarantine until he’s all clear. (I really miss him though!!!) Aside from that drama, we’re working on making arrangements to go up to Children’s Memorial in Chicago in mid-February to see Dr. Debra Weese-Mayer who is specialized in CCHS. It will be a five day hospital stay for extensive evaluation and to develop a more detailed treatment plan which will allow us as the parents to make ventilator changes ourselves as needed, as well as give our Pulmonologist a better recipe for treatment. How to get up to Chicago is the biggest issue for us, especially in the cold of February. Driving would be ideal to have our big truck for all the equipment needs but it’s a minimum of a two day drive with an infant on a ventilator who doesn’t even like the car seat. And when I say he doesn’t like the car seat, I mean he absolutely hates it and will show off with plenty of Smurf moments. Flying on the other hand poses the risk of being around crowds and potentially getting Wyatt sick. Plus, there is the hassle of getting through the airport and taking all his gear as carry-on. Driving or flying, both are expensive. So I am attempting to find a way to either get a reduced rate on a commercial flight or to go through agencies like AngelFlight Southeast or OperationLiftoff to arrange for a potentially free flight on a smaller plane due to medical necessity. There are definitely some road blocks I’m running into trying to plan this trip in regard to the documentation needed for Special Needs, but after a day of banging my head against the wall (and catching up on some sleep), I’m back in the game and ready to attack. We’ll get it sorted out one way or another. We will need to arrange for transportation and accommodation though when we get to Chicago. I hope that won’t be an issue in the middle of February in Chicago weather. We’ll see, we still have time to plan… From a strictly medical standpoint, Wyatt is doing very well right now. We found a great Cardiologist who did his homework ahead of time and right away arranged for a 72hour Holter Monitoring, which Wyatt is hooked up to now. I am nervous about the result though since Wyatt is at such a high risk of having prolonged sinus pauses which could result in the need for a cardiac pacemaker some time in his future. This yearly test will probably always be nerve-wrecking for me. Pulmonology is on top of their game and ordered an abdominal ultrasound to check for Neuroblastoma which Wyatt is also at risk for and we’ll have to check for yearly. A Sleep study was already done also so we have a better understanding now what his breathing capacity or lack thereof is during each stage of sleep. Once we go to Chicago, they will repeat those tests among others and look at everything in more detail. Early Steps also called me today and they found an agency that can provide a Speech Therapist who’s also trained in Occupational Therapy to come out to our house. It’ll still take a while to get services started but hopefully soon they can come by once a week to help work on Wyatt’s feeding issues. I’m still waiting to get an AC power adapter for the Capnograph CO2Monitor so I can continuously monitor Wyatt while sleeping and we can then fine tune his ventilator settings to keep his CO2 between 35-45. Can you believe it, our insurance bought the Capnograph out right but the DME company failed to check that it only comes with one battery and a battery charger. That battery only lasts eight hours and then I would have to turn it off until the battery is fully charged again. So stupid. Of course I need either a second battery or an AC power adaptor to be able to continuously monitor. So I’m still waiting on that. Another fun thing I’m waiting on is Wyatt’s monthly delivery of a new trach. The one thing we really need is on back order, on manufacturer back order none the less. Fantastic. There is no way of knowing when it’ll get here. It’s bad enough we only get one new trach a month yet his trach is to be changed once a week, so we end up having to sterilize used trachs and reuse them. But this being the middle of October and the trach is on manufacturer back order, I’d be really surprised if we even get a new one this month. See, it’s so much fun dealing with home health care. There is never a dull moment. Speaking of home health care, I’ve come to the conclusion that Wyatt and I just don’t like home nursing care. Given my personality of wanting to do everything myself anyway, the nurses will probably never be able to live up to my expectations of multi-tasking. And Wyatt at 4 months old only wants to be held by either myself or my husband otherwise he’ll have back to back Smurf moments. I tested that theory today and sure enough, even when he got really fussy and over-tired, he didn’t have an episode when I was holding him. But when I handed him off to the nurse while he was content, he immediately switched his mood and had an episode every single time I walked out of the room. Way to make me feel guilty, Wyatt. Well, him needing to be held all the time led to me becoming really good at holding him in one arm while doing everything else with the other arm, like suctioning him, hooking up his feed, venting his G-tube, giving him his nebulizer treatment, etc. The bad thing about me being able to do it all one handed now though is that I have also lost my patience for the nurses, for example when they take forever to get things ready to get out the door for appointments or they spill my hard earned breast milk trying to pour it into the feeding bag or when they can’t even figure out how to secure the ventilator in the travel backpack. I really am trying my best to accept that nursing is just part of our life now but it’s just not working well for me. I am always so irritated when we have nurses and so much more relaxed when we don’t. Not trying to offend any other nurses here but in our situation where we as the parents are so involved in everything about Wyatt’s care, home nurses are just a glorified and very expensive medically trained babysitter. That’s just my opinion though and I am kind of annoyed by them today so maybe it’ll pass. And it really ticks me off when they kiss on him like he’s their baby or something. Ok, I’ll stop now. I just had to get that out. Oh well, that’s it for this week I think. Wyatt has a bunch of appointments this week, six to be exact, but most are just follow-ups and then his usual Pulmonologist and Pediatrician appointment. Hopefully November will be calmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment